Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!
Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!
Organizations both large and small can make a powerful
impact on how we serve the Rochester community.
One of the most wonderful things about Rochester, NY is the generous and thoughtful business community that supports the neighbors around them. We've seen amazing things happen for the less fortunate when groups come together to help solve a local issue. Organizations who give back tend to grow and reap benefits, too! How to Grow a Business By Helping Non Profit Organizations
Charitable acts turn your core values into definitive efforts and make a tangible difference for both your staff and those they help. Deciding what that act will be stems from your team's passion and talents. Whichever you choose, The Salvation Army in Rochester always sends a letter of thanks with our 4013b information for tax deduction purposes.
· Host a collection / food drive - Everyone's got some extra soup or shampoo at their place. Place a box in your office and spread the word that you're collecting an item or two that the less fortunate can use. Extend the collection to your clients to have them add to total!
· Volunteer at a fundraiser - Help at registration, set up/tear down, monitor the onsite auction...we can always use a helping hand! Find out what volunteer opportunities are coming up for The Salvation Army on our Volunteer United page here.
· Help as a team in our food pantry - groups often come in to help our Emergency Family Services with sorting canned goods, packing to-go bags with food and hygiene products, and sharing these necessities with those who come to us for help.
· Sponsor an event - The event could be ours or yours! We have an annual golf tournament with sponsor packages of all sizes. If you're hosting a seminar, lunch and learn, trade show etc., consider adding a raffle or 50/50 to raise funds. Inspire more people to attend when a portion of your ticket sales goes to your local Salvation Army.
· Donate your office space or services - If your venue works for networking events, off-site planning, or has a purpose others can use, let us know! There's so many ways a new location can help those that see the same 4 walls every day. If you provide a service our staff or shelter guests can benefit from, we'd love to hear more about them.
· Join a committee or our Advisory Board - Here at the Salvation Army we have 8 committees and 25 areas of advisement within our Board. Consider sharing your time, talents or treasure with us! More details and a list of current members can be found here.
· Create a Contest / Challenge - Why not organize something fun that also gives back to those in need? Plan a walk or run to raise money and awareness. Create fitness or trivia challenges that doubles as a fundraiser. Challenge your staff to bring in a goal amount of toothbrushes and toothpaste by a certain date. Allow jeans in the office when they donate a dollar in your collection jar. Find something that fits your work culture or call us for more ideas.
· Become a Matching Donor - Set a donation goal that your company will match dollar-for dollar for, then share the details with your staff and clients. If you'd like we'll share your match with our contacts, too. It doesn't have to be a grand amount. Matching donors often get a bunch of small amounts to add up to one, big total!
As a leader or committee member who's thinking about what you can do, also consider the time, cost and goal. If you need help creating the right "giving back" initiative, please reach out. Our community relations coordinator can help at 585-987-9500 ext. 2319. We'd love to partner with you, promote your volunteerism, and help you reach your charitable giving goals.
Set Up An Angel Tree
Every fall, families apply for holiday assistance with toys for their children 13 & under. A paper angel is filled out for each child listed on the approved applications. These angels are given to businesses, banks, churches, and even other families throughout Monroe County who would like to host an angel tree at their location. Participants choose to take an angel from the tree, purchase a gift for the child listed, and place the gift with its angel under the tree from which it came. No tree? No Problem! We have some trees to loan out to organizations without one. Let is know in the form below if you need a tree with your angel delivery.
Join the "Battle of the Bells" Red Kettle Contest
Who doesn't want to ring our bell outside their favorite store at Christmas time?!? Organize a group of volunteers to ring at a local Red Kettle location, or let us know if you'd like to ring at your own location. We're making a contest out of this holiday tradition called “Battle of the Bells”. All you need to do is ring at a kettle for at least 4 hours before December 25th. The monies raised through this contest will be tracked and a winner will be announced shortly after Christmas. Multiple shifts under your group's name are encouraged! The winner keeps the engraved trophy at their location until next year's "Battle of the Bells".
Place Counter-Top Kettles In The Office
Place one of our small kettles at your location’s front desk, near a register, or on your family dinner table! We encourage you to select a “kettle ambassador” at your site who will remind staff of the collection and monitor donations. All monies raised through these mini-kettles around Rochester will go directly to our Red Kettle Campaign, which helps fund our local services & programs. BONUS: Counter-Top Kettles can be counted towards your "Battle of the Bells" final contribution!
Adopt A Family
Businesses and individuals can adopt a local family with extreme need at Christmas. This differs from the Christmas Angel Tree Program in that every member of a family is included, both parent(s), children, or other family members who reside with them. Sponsors are provided with a Christmas list which includes each member's sizes, needs, and likes. We ask that sponsors provide at least 2 gifts per person in the family. Non-perishable food for a Christmas meal is optional. Sponsors may request the size of the family they would like to adopt and may adopt more than one family if so desired.
Stuff "Family Fun Time" Bags
Operation Family Time was designed specifically to promote family togetherness. We are seeking individuals/groups to build “family time” bag of fun; DVDs, games, a chapter book, snacks and beverages to share with families who have applied for holiday assistance.
Make A Donation
If you don’t have time to commit, you can simply write a check with “Hope Marches On" in the memo or visit here for our secure online donation form. You will receive a letter of thanks with our 4013b information on it for tax deduction purposes.